NYSERDA Re-Allocates $6 Million To Extend Incentives Under NY-Sun Initiative

Posted by Joseph Bebon on January 05, 2016 No Comments
Categories : New & Noteworthy

The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) has re-allocated more than $6 million in unused funds to extend current solar incentives in certain NY-Sun Solar MW Block programs.

Under Gov. Cuomo's MW Block initiative, residential, small commercial and large commercial solar projects are eligible for incentives that decrease project costs and support the use of clean, sustainable solar power. The total amount of incentives available is based on a pre-established amount of energy designated for a specific region.

Once a block's capacity is fully subscribed, all unused funds are re-allocated to the current block in that region. Hence, funds are made available due to the cancellation of projects in the region or changes in project scope or funding.

The MW Block regions of the state include Upstate Region Residential, Upstate Region Small Non-Residential, Con Edison Residential, Con Edison Small Non-Residential, Long Island Region Residential, Long Island Small Non-Residential, Upstate Commercial/Industrial and Con Edison Commercial/Industrial.

According to NYSERDA, the progress of residential and small commercial MW Blocks is approximately six to seven months ahead of schedule, reflecting the high demand for solar in New York State.

‘Under Governor Cuomo's Reforming the Energy Vision strategy, New Yorkers are adding solar at a rate that exceeded 300 percent from 2011 to 2014 – twice the rate of the U.S. overall – and we expect even more growth in the coming years,’ says Richard Kauffman, chairman of energy and finance for New York.

‘The re-allocation of funds will ensure an appropriate level of support is available to residential and small commercial projects in regions where funds were allocated, but not used,’ says John B. Rhodes, NYSERDA president and CEO.

The following are the individual MW Block regions where funds are being re-allocated:

  • Upstate Residential (Block 6): An increase of 4 MW to a total of 35 MW – $2 million added to current block;
  • Con Edison Residential (Block 5): An increase of 2 MW to a total of 17 MW – $1.2 million added to current block;
  • Upstate Non-Residential (Block 7): An increase of 5 MW to a total of 33 MW – $1.8 million added to current block;
  • Con Edison Non-Residential (Block 3): An increase of 1.5 MW to a total of 7.5 MW – $1.035 million added to current block; and
  • NY-Sun previously announced the addition of 18 MW for Long Island Residential (Block 4).

Long Island Non-Residential is not included in the current re-allocation.

NY-Sun staff will continue to monitor the MW Block regions for unused capacity.

Leave a Comment